East Side Story (Q Artistry's next QKID production opening on May 10th) features 12 young actors individually matched with 12 professional Indy actors in a mentoring style production process for a one act musical about friendship and discord on the east side of Indianapolis. The adult actors were asked to present the kid they're mentoring with 9 questions as part of our 9 QUESTIONS series and this is what happened:
9 Questions with
asked by Amelia Smith.
1) How long have you been involved in theatre?
I first started doing theatre in October when I got into "Charley's Aunt" at my high school. "East Side Story" will be my second show. :) After being in "Charley's Aunt", I realized that I never want to do anything else but act!
2. What first interested you?
I had tried out for a few plays here and there, but hadn't seriously pursued it. I actually found out about "Charley's Aunt" auditions because my friend convinced me to go with her, and once I was cast, I was hooked.
3) If you had to perform one show (ANY show) over and over forever, what would it be?
Well, obviously the only show I've completed (so far) is "Charley's Aunt", but I really probably would choose that to perform again and again. The rush of live comedy, the wonderful friendships I had with the cast and crew, and my character are all so dear to me (probably because it was my first show). :)
4) What has been your favorite part of East Side Story so far?
I have LOVED being in East Side Story so much! My favorite part is probably the singing, because the songs are so clever and catchy. I love them.
5) If you were going to start your own gang, what would it be called?
I've thought a lot about my gang, so I'm happy you asked. It would be called the "Souper Villains" and we'd sit around in a big gang clump, opening cans of soup. We might also make soup. I haven't worked out that detail yet.
6) If you could have any sidekick (for your really cool gang), who would it be? (Fictional character or otherwise...I mean ANYONE)
I'd obviously have to take along Dr. John T. Horrace as my sidekick, legendary inventor of condensed soup. Like of course.
7) If you were going to (stage) fight someone in the cast, who would it
be and why?
You!!! We are probably the best stage fighters in the entire show. Nobody does it as fancily and daintily (yet convincingly) as we do.
8) If you had a theme song, what would it be and why?
My theme song would definitely be "Flashdance...What a Feeling" by Irene Cara because I love that movie and that song just makes me want to dance/go accomplish my dreams.
9) What are you most excited about regarding East Side Story?
I just recently moved to Carmel from Bloomington, and some of my friends from Bloomington are coming to see the show! So, I'm most excited about the performance, when all the rehearsals come together and we get to show the audience what we can do.